The following are the roles and responsibilities of the agency:
- Design and implement State Action Plans for the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS;
- Design and prosecute an intense multi-sectorial approach to HIV/AIDS prevention and control;
- Provide technical support on the planning, implementation and management of HIV/AIDS to line Ministries, NGOs, CBOs, PSOs and LGAs;
- Co-ordinate an Annual Sentinel Surveillance on the incidence and prevalence of HIV/AIDS and promote operational research on intervention strategies;
- Provide necessary support to other stakeholders in their efforts to prevent and control HIV/AIDS;
- Encourage multi-sectoral collaboration and networking among all stakeholders including the civil society organizations against HIV/AIDS;
- Organize training of personnel involved in the control and prevention of HIV/AIDS at all levels;
- Implement all decisions of the Board/State Council on AIDS and produce quarterly reports on HIV/AIDS prevention and control activities to the Board.
- Ensure the adherence of appropriate protocols in blood transfusion in all health facilities;
- Promote the implementation of the work place policy to eliminate stigmatization and discrimination of persons living with or affected with HIV or AIDS;
- Coordinate and monitor all HIV and AIDS programmes;
- Perform any other functions that are incidental to the above functions.